The College of William and Mary has a number of outstanding facilities and services available to students. For more information about any of the facilities listed below, please see the contact information provided.
Carrie Cooper, Dean of University Libraries
The Earl Gregg Swem Library actively participates in the teaching and research missions of the College of William and Mary by providing services, collections, staff, and facilities that enrich and inform the educational experience, and promote a lifelong commitment to learning.
The library fulfills this mission by helping students, faculty, staff, and visitors find information and learn research skills; selecting and acquiring the best resources for the College’s curricular and research needs; and organizing, preserving, and providing access to these resources efficiently and effectively.
Hours for the library, various departments, and branch libraries are posted at https://swem.wm.edu/about/hours. Because these hours may vary, especially during interim periods and holidays, please check the posting or call (757) 221- 4636 to confirm hours before you visit.
Swem Library includes networked and wireless connections throughout the building. There are more than one hundred computers, including laptops, in the library. Numerous group study rooms are available for collaborative use.
Collections and Reference Services
Contact (757) 221-3067 or www.swem.wm.edu/services/reference/
Government Information Services
Specialized indexes for microform collections of government titles are available in the department. Contact the Government Information Department at (757) 221-3065.
Please visit the library’s home page [www.swem.wm.edu] and click on ‘Your Records’. Contact the Circulation Department at (757) 221-3072.
Reserves Department at (757) 221-3072.
Interlibrary Loan Department at (757) 221-3089.
Contact the Center at http://swem.wm.edu/services/media/ or (757) 221-1378 or sms/text 757-561-0791.
Special Collections Research Center
Special Collections at http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/index.cfm.
Swem Departmental Libraries
For more information about Swem’s departmental libraries, please visit http://swem.wm.edu/libraries.
- • Chemistry Library, Integrated Science Center Room 1022, (757) 221-3119, contains approximately 12,000 volumes and journals.
- • Geology Library, contains 17,000 volumes, journals and over 21,000 maps, but all materials have been transferred to Swem Library or the off-site stacks and materials are available via Swem Library’s online catalog, http://swem.wm.edu/.
- • Music Library, 250 Ewell Hall, (757) 221-1074, contains more than 18,000 sound recordings, 10,000 pieces of printed music, and video recordings of musical performances and musical instruction.
- • Physics Library, 151 Small Hall, contains over 30,000 volumes and journals. Anyone with card access to the building can use the library 24/7. Other William and Mary libraries include the Business/Professional Resource Center (757) 221-2916, http://business.wm.edu/prc/; Education/Learning Resource Center (757) 221-2311; Law (757) 221-3255, http://law.wm.edu/library/home/index.php; and Marine Science (804) 684-7116, www.vims.edu/library/.
(757) 221-4357 (HELP)
The College of William and Mary’s Information Technology department is devoted to assisting students and providing invaluable resources through one-on-one consultations, the Technology Support Center, and our extensive web site. With these points of interaction, we hope to help faculty, staff, and students become proficient users of campus technology. IT maintains a wide range of computing support for students, from answering questions about personal computers, to PAC Labs. We offer guidance and training in the areas of software setup and use, network connection and navigation, and general computer operation.
Public Access Computing (PAC) Labs
PACLabs are provided across campus to efficiently attend to the needs of the College’s students, staff, and faculty.
The Software Repository has a collection of free and licensed software for the W&M community.
The William and Mary Center for Archaeological Research
The William and Mary Center for Archaeological Research provides cultural resource management (CRM) services for public and private organizations. These services include archaeological studies, historical research and interpretation, and a wide variety of related technical services. The Center is staffed with professional archaeologists whose combined expertise encompasses both prehistoric and historic-period sites and artifacts from Canada to the Caribbean. The Center facilities include offices, laboratories, and collection storage with access to specialized computer and materials testing equipment.
The William and Mary Archeological Conservation Center, a division of the Department of Anthropology, has as its purposes the conservation of archaeological artifacts from historic sites and the introduction of students to the theory and practice of archaeological conservation. The Conservation Center engages in contract conservation work with federal, state and private agencies. Through the Center’s operations, students are given the opportunity to observe and participate in the conservation treatment of metals, organic materials, glass and ceramics from a variety of periods and places, and to pursue interests in conservation through laboratory experience in directed research projects.
The Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture
The Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, the oldest organization in the United States exclusively dedicated to the advancement of study, research, and publications bearing on the history and culture of early America until approximately 1815, marked its sixtieth anniversary in 2003. Founded as the Institute of Early American History and Culture in 1943 by The College of William and Mary and The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, the Institute, which is still jointly sponsored by those institutions, was renamed in 1996 in recognition of a generous endowment pledged by Mr. and Mrs. Malvern H. Omohundro, Jr. As specifically directed by its constitution, the Institute stimulates interest in the earliest period of American history, assists writers and scholars in their work, maintains the highest standards of historical accuracy and integrity, and furthers an understanding of the early republic. The Institute’s focus also encompasses the Caribbean, Latin America, the British Isles, Europe, and Africa, insofar as the study of the histories and cultures of these places is relevant to the mainland of North America from 1500 to 1815.
Science Laboratory Facilities
Phases 1 and 2 of the Integrated Science Center, opened in 2008-09, are state-of-the-art facilities that house the Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology departments. ISC 1 and 2 provide a total of 70 teaching and research laboratories as well as faculty and graduate student offices and support facilities for innovative research.
For Biology, there is a rooftop greenhouse complex, a herbarium of vascular plants that contains more than 40,000 specimens, a core molecular biology facility, and a variety of spectrophotometer, electron microscope, ultracentrifuge, radioisotope, and other laboratories. The Laboratory of Endocrinology and Population Ecology contains extensive experimental and animal-maintenance installations.
For Chemistry, there are stockrooms, a reading room, a glass-blowing shop, shared instrumentation laboratories for multi-nuclear magnetic resonance, chromatography, spectroscopy (uv/visible, fluorescence and atomic absorption), mass spectrometry and polymer characterization, as well as a regional X-ray diffraction facility. These facilities, and collaborations with other departments, the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, the NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton and institutions throughout the US, support research across the spectrum of traditional chemistry areas.
For Psychology, there are observation and research rooms, an animal colony, and laboratories for studies in human and animal physiology, perception and cognition, and social psychology. There is also a family therapy teaching laboratory, and developmental psychology laboratories devoted to infant, child and adolescent research. The Eastern State Psychiatric Hospital, two miles from campus, provides additional facilities as well as assistantships for graduate students.
William Small Physical Laboratory (Small Hall) houses the Physics department. It contains classrooms, lecture halls, faculty and staff offices, teaching laboratories, a departmental library, extensive research laboratories, a machine shop, specialized computing facilities, a small astronomical observatory, and office space for all physics graduate students. Research is conducted in nuclear/particle/high-energy physics, condensed matter physics, atomic/molecular/optical physics, non-linear dynamics/plasma physics, computational physics and biological/chemical physics. The Physics Department has a close working relationship with the Applied Science Department and the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab) located in Newport News. In addition, studies in molecular physics and fluid dynamics are conducted in collaboration with the NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton. In Summer 2011, the Department moved into the newly expanded and renovated Small Hall, equipped with state-of-the-art research space.
McGlothlin-Street Hall is a technologically sophisticated building. It includes six applied science labs, four geology labs and a library, and six computer science labs. It contains extensive cable and wireless network access. The Geology department houses sophisticated microscopes and other equipment for studying geological specimens. McGlothlin-Street Hall houses specialized computational labs dedicated to research and graduate training in computational systems, networks, high-performance computing, mathematical modeling, and computational biology. In addition, polymer science, thin film materials science specializing in nanotechnology, systems neurophysiology, imaging, and computational neuroscience laboratories with vivarium access are available. The Applied Science Department is a partner in the Applied Research Center (ARC) at Jefferson Laboratory, with other area universities, NASA Langley Research Center, and Jefferson Lab. Together they share characterization, processing and test facilities. The leading example is the world’s first high average power free electron laser (FEL). ARC also houses the Jefferson Lab Library.
School of Marine Science & Virginia Institute of Marine Science
The 38-acre campus is located at Gloucester Point on the York River, an important estuary with easy access to the Chesapeake Bay and the nearby Atlantic Ocean. The Institute and the School are ideally situated to conduct research and teaching in marine, estuarine, and freshwater environments. The campus of the Eastern Shore Branch Laboratory at Wachapreague, Virginia, offers access to the embayments, salt marshes, and barrier beaches of Virginia’s Eastern Shore. At Wachapreague are located laboratories for mariculture, aquaculture genetics, and other research as well as dormitory and classroom space. The Institute has approximately 300 scientists, support technicians and staff. At present there are 53 faculty members and about 130 graduate students within the School of Marine Science; the number of students pursuing M.S. and Ph.D. degrees is about equal.
Center for Public Policy Research
The Center for Public Policy Research, the research arm of the College of William and Mary’s Thomas Jefferson Program in Public Policy, was established to create cooperative relationships with public and private organizations that result in important learning opportunities for students and opportunities that enhance faculty teaching and scholarship.
The mission of the Graduate Center is to support and promote the culture of advanced study at the College of William and Mary. The Graduate Center provides students with up-to-date advice and interdisciplinary opportunities to develop the professional skills needed to take charge of their own careers. Functioning as a focal point between the University and the surrounding community, the Graduate Center also promotes greater public understanding of the role of graduate studies in the life of the University.