The Mason School of Business has deep roots in the history and traditions that have made the College of William & Mary one of the most distinguished liberal arts universities in the nation. Founded in 1693, the College is the second oldest university in the nation—the first was Harvard—and educated many of the nation's Founding Fathers. It ranks consistently among the top 10 public, undergraduate liberal arts colleges in the United States.
Proud traditions of the College include the founding of Phi Beta Kappa, the National Honor Society and the Honor Code that inspires alumni, students and members of the College community to lead ethical and moral lives.
This same commitment to scholarship, service and ethics underscores the mission and curriculum of the Mason School of Business. The School educates the next generation of business leaders by offering a highly personal learning environment that fosters team-building skills, self-reliance, an entrepreneurial spirit and ethical character.
In 1919 William & Mary President Julian A.C. Chandler established the Department of Business while expanding the College's sphere of services. The study of business grew in popularity over the 20th Century, with substantial growth after the end of World War II. The College established the Master of Business Administration (MBA) Program in 1966. In 1968, the Department of Business became the School of Business, and in 1971, the College's Board of Visitors approved the addition of the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) undergraduate degree. The Master of Accounting degree graduated its first class in 2000.
In In November 2005, the School of Business was named the Mason School of Business to honor longtime supporter Raymond A. “Chip” Mason, President and CEO of Legg Mason, Inc., who graduated from William & Mary in 1959 and was instrumental in the creation of the School of Business in 1967-1968.
In July 2009, the Mason School of Business moved to its new home in Alan B. Miller Hall. Alan Miller is Chairman of the Board and CEO of Universal Health Services. He graduated from the College in 1958.