Jun 04, 2023
The Public Health minor has 6 tracks from which to choose:
- Public Health Fundamentals (22 Credits)
- Global Health (19 Credits)
- The Environment and Public Health (19 Credits)
- Health, Wellness, and Society (20 Credits)
- Data and Public Health (19 Credits)
- Health Equity and Justice (19 Credits)
Experiential Learning & Culminating Experience
- ELA-Experiential Learning Activity - To fulfill this non-credit bearing requirement , students must complete 30 hours (minimum) of a hands-on experience related to Public Health, as verified by a site supervisor. Students need to receive approval from Minor coordinators before the experience. Eligible experiential activities include Public Health-related research with faculty members, volunteer projects on or off campus, internships, service trips, study abroad or study away experiences, or course-based experiential learning. An approved ELA must be completed for students to receive Instructor Permission to register for PBHL 400 .
- PBHL 400 - Public Health Minor Seminar (1) This seminar will serve as a culminating experience for the Public Health Minor, and an opportunity for students from different tracks to collaborate. In the seminar, students from different tracks will engage in class discussions and written assignments to integrate content from coursework and the ELA, and to juxtapose it within Public Health research and practice.
To register for PBHL 400, students must have completed core and track requirements and an approved ELA. They may have a maximum of 6 credits of elective requirements remaining.
Public Health Minor Tracks
Public Health Foundations (22 Credits)
This group of courses provides a broad-based foundation in the core areas of Public Health and the disciplines that inform it. This track is well suited for students who wish to complement their major course of study with a comprehensive introduction to the theories, tools, and concepts of Public Health.
Public Health Foundations Track Requirements (6-7 Credits)
Public Health Foundations Track Electives (9-10 Credits)
Social and Behavioral Aspects of Health (3 Credits)
Ethics and Health (3 Credits)
Global Health (19 Credits)
The coursework in this track introduces students to international health and development issues from a Public Health lens. Students will investigate the social, economic, political, and environmental determinants of global health inequity, and the programs and policies used to address it.
Global Health Track Requirements (3 Credits)
Global Health Track Electives (9 Credits)
No more than 6 credits may be taken in a single department.
The Environment & Public Health (19 Credits)
This group of courses supports the exploration of environmental issues as they relate to human health and disease, with an emphasis on Environmental Health and climate change. Students have the opportunity to blend foundational courses in Public Health with courses related to environmental policy, ethics, and science.
The Environment & Public Health Track Requirements (6 Credits)
The Environment & Public Health Track Electives (6 Credits)
Health, Wellness, and Society (20 Credits)
This track emphasizes the multidimensional nature of health, with a focus on the social, cultural, and behavioral determinants of human health. Students will explore personal and community-based practices that promote health, and the theoretical underpinnings of these practices.
Health, Wellness, & Society Track Requirements (4 Credits)
Health, Wellness, & Society Track Electives (9 Credits)
Take a total of three (3) classes totaling at least nine (9) credits, with no more than one (1) class from menu A.
A. Psychological and Behavioral Determinants of Health
B. Social and Cultural Determinants of Health
Data and Public Health (19 Credits)
This track introduces students to the foundations of Public Health and Data Science, and is appropriate for students interested in the intersection of health, computing, and statistics (the three pillars of Health Data Science, a growing field).
Data & Public Health Track Requirements (6 Credits)
Data & Public Health Track Electives (6 Credits)
A. Take One (1) of the Following Courses (3 Credits)
B. Take One (1) of the Following Courses (3 Credits)
Health Equity and Justice (19 Credits)
The coursework in this track introduces students to issues in health equity and health opportunity. Students will learn about the intersectionality of health with wealth, race/ ethnicity, gender, disability, and other axes of identity. Elective courses will provide additional foundation in these critical social issues.
Health Equity & Justice Track Requirements (3 Credits)
Health Equity & Justice Track Electives (9 Credits)
Take 3 courses (9 credits), with no more than 6 credits from a single department.